HSE - Pulse Research

Home | Classifieds | Place an Ad | Public Notices | Subscriber Services | 928 Media Lab | Real Estate Search | Galleries | Obits | Yellow Pages | TV Listings | Contact Us
The Prescott Daily Courier | Prescott, Arizona

home : latest news : latest news July 09, 2014


12/7/2012 9:55:00 PM
Improperly disposed fireplace ashes cause $15,000 damage to Prescott home
Lisa Irish
The Daily Courier

Prescott firefighters put out a fire Thursday in the garage of a home in the Haisley Homestead area of Prescott caused by improperly disposed fireplace ashes, said Prescott Fire Division Chief Don Devendorf.

At 10:05 a.m., firefighters answered a call about a fire at a two-story home in the 500 block of Turtleback Road and found heavy smoke coming from the garage.

Firefighters tried to enter the garage from the home, but heavy fire conditions led them to fight the fire from the exterior garage door as the fire vented through the door and a window, Devendorf said.

Firefighters knocked down the fire in minutes, contained it to the garage, and there was only minor damage to the rest of the home, Devendorf said.

Firefighters used thermal imaging cameras to check for fire extension into the walls or attic and found none, Devendorf said.

Three engine companies, a truck company, five chief officers, an investigator, a utility truck, and an ambulance - 21 personnel - answered the call.

No one was injured in the fire.

A man living at the home told firefighters he had taken a box of fireplace ashes into the garage about an hour before smoke detectors went off, Devendorf said.

The man told firefighters he was on the second floor when he heard the smoke alarm, found the fire in the garage, and called 911.

"Had there not been working smoke detectors in the home, the fire would have been able to grow much larger in size before he would have been aware of it," Devendorf said.

Damage from the fire is estimated to be $15,000, and an estimated $375,000 in property and contents was saved, Devendorf said.

Volunteers helped two adults after the fire in Prescott, said Trudy Thompson Rice, communications officer with the American Red Cross Grand Canyon Chapter.

"This is the second structure fire in Prescott this week that has caused much less damage than it could have based solely on the existence of operational smoke detectors," Devendorf said.

Construction requirements that there be a one-hour separation door between a garage and the living space of a home, also helped contain the fire to the garage, Devendorf said.

"Remember that ashes stay hot for much longer than you think they do," Devendorf said. "The only safe method to dispose of ashes is to place them in a metal container, away from any combustible material, and wet them to make a slurry."

Once ashes have been soaked and are cold, you can dispose of them, Devendorf said.

"Do not place your dry ashes in your trash receptacle as they can start a fire there, or even in the refuse truck that they end up in, even many days later," Devendorf said.






    Recently Commented     Most Viewed
Hobby Lobby Fallout: 'Emergency contraception' not so hard to find (22 comments)
Column: It's time to decriminalize pot (23 comments)
Car crashes through Prescott Valley fitness club (9 comments)
County jail tax increase goes to voters (36 comments)
Obituary: Duane O. Holliman (4 comments)


Reader Comments

Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012
Article comment by: Worried Neighbor

They are all around us, Haisley Homestead is a forested area and this could have resulted in a very bad situation from a stupid mistake. One would think if you live in an area like this you would have some common sense when it came to disposing of ashes. Guess not !
Thanks for having a great Fire Department that was able to midigate the possible damage that could have occured .


Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012
Article comment by: S Campis

A "box of fireplace ashes"!! A BOX?!! I can see it if this box was metal but, OMG, where did this man come from or better yet, what was he smoking?!! Take all combustibles, fire sources away from this man!

Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2012
Article comment by: Steven G

How many times i have heard this!
PEOPLE, Please put you ashes OUTSIDE if your not sure if you don't think the're out!
I have seen apartment buildings catch on fire because of people putting ashes from their B.B.Q. out on the deck.
Don't trust that they are out!!!!!!!
I have had a small fire myself from the pellet stove ashes. Stove was warm and off quite a while, there was STILL a hot ash, and i smelled smoke a hour later on the deck, grabed fire ext. & put it out.




Article Comment Submission Form
Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. The email and phone info you provide will not be visible to the public. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comments are limited to 1300 characters or less. In order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit your comment entries to five(5) per day.
Submit an Article Comment
First Name:
Required
Last Name:
Required
Telephone:
Required
Email:
Required
Comment:
Required
Passcode:
Required
Anti-SPAM Passcode Click here to see a new mix of characters.
This is an anti-SPAM device. It is not case sensitive.
   


Advanced Search

HSE - We want to hear from you
HSE - Circulation Costco Memebership offer
Find more about Weather in Prescott, AZ
Click for weather forecast






Quick Links
 •  Submit site feedback or questions

 •  Submit your milestone notice

 •  Submit your letter to the editor

 •  Submit a news tip or story idea

 •  Place a classified ad online now

Find It Features Blogs Milestones Extras Other Publications Links
Classifieds | Subscriber Services | Real Estate Search | Galleries | Find Prescott Jobs | e-News | RSS | Site Map | Contact Us
Yavapai Gaming - Buckys July

© Copyright 2014 Western News&Info, Inc.® The Daily Courier is the information source for Prescott area communities in Northern Arizona. Original content may not be reprinted or distributed without the written permission of Prescott Newspapers, Inc. Prescott Newspapers Online is a service of Prescott Newspapers Inc. By using the Site, dcourier.com ®, you agree to abide and be bound by the Site's terms of use and Privacy Policy, which prohibit commercial use of any information on the Site. Click here to submit your questions, comments or suggestions. Prescott Newspapers Online is a proud publication of Western News&Info, Inc.® All Rights Reserved.

Software © 1998-2014 1up! Software, All Rights Reserved